Heilmeier's Catechism is a set of questions credited to George Heilmeier
that anyone proposing a research project or product development effort
should be able to answer.
- What are you trying to do?
- Articulate your objectives using absolutely no jargon.
- How is it done today, and what are the limits of current practice?
- What's new in your approach and why do you think it will be successful?
- Who cares?
- If you're successful, what difference will it make?
- What are the risks and the payoffs?
- How much will it cost?
- How long will it take?
- What are the midterm and final "exams" to check for success?