See definition Of The Metre
- 12 inches to the foot
- 3 feet to the yard
- 5.5 yards to the rod, pole or perch
- 4 rods to the chain
- 10 chains to the furlong
- 8 furlongs to the Statute Mile
- 3 Statute Miles to the league
- 7.92 inches to the link
- 100 links to the chain
- 6080 feet to the Admiralty Measured Mile
- 6087.15 feet to the Geographical Mile
- 1 Geographical Mile to 1 arc-minute at the Equator
- 1852 metres to the Nautical Mile.
- 1 Nautical Mile to 1 arc-minute on a Great Circle.
- 6 feet to the fathom
- 100 fathoms to the cable
- 10 cables to the Nautical Mile
- (sort of - some versions of the Nautical Mile have it as 6000 feet)
- 3 Nautical Miles to 1 Nautical League
- 1000 metres to the kilometre
Now for the less serious quantities ...
- 149597871 kilometres to the Astronomical Unit (average distance from Earth to Sun)
- 8.3 light minutes to the Astronomical Unit
- The most distant space probe, Voyager 1, was 12.5 light hours away from Earth in January 2004.
- 63239.726219807 Astronomical Units to the light year
- 3.26 light years to the parsec
- A Parsec is the distance of an object that will subtend one second of arc due to parallax in the annual transit of the Earth's orbit around the Sun.
- 4.22 light years to the nearest star - Proxima Centauri
- The Galaxy is 100000 light years across
- The observable universe has a radius of about 13,700,000,000 light years
Links to this page /
Page history /
Last change to this page
Recent changes /
Edit this page (with sufficient authority)
All pages /
Change password /