Maths Inspiration is a programme of events for sixth formers
that are designed to be fun, informative and inspiring. You
can see the website at:
We recently received the following email after the event in Reading:
Many many thanks for organising the above talk. The feedback we |
have received from our pupils has been outstanding. There is a
new spring in the Maths lessons! The mix between classic problems
and new ideas was superb. (Many of the kids are already learning
to juggle!! )
Please pass on my sincere thanks to Simon, Rob and Colin. Their
passion for Mathematics was obvious and contagious. Our coach left
with a real buzz afterwards. The resources on the mentioned web
sites will be invaluable to our department. I have used a few of
the starters this week and the kids have been blown away.
As a part of our commitment to making these events the best
they can be, we ask teachers to complete a feedback form.
One of the questions we asked was this:
"What message would you give to the schools |
that didn't come today?"
Some of the replies were:
And my favourite so far:
- You missed out on a huge opportunity to enthuse
pupils about the joys of Mathematics.
- This was far better than I anticipated - a real treat.
- All of my pupils and I were kept interested and
entertained for 2¾ hours!
- Give it a try! It is well worth the trip.
- You missed a very entertaining and informative morning
- This event caught the attention of the pupils in a
number of ways
- Bringing a minibus of kids will make you their
- This was a trip well worth attending, filled with
interesting topics and discussions.
- Promotes maths as a subject for further study - very worthwhile.
This is the sort of experience they will remember far more |
than any classroom lessons. Truly inspirational.
Until recently the events have followed a simple formula, with three speakers talking about different applications of mathematics, followed by a question and answer session. The event at Greenwich Theatre in March 2006 introduced a completely new idea:
This proved to be a great success, and is likely to be included in future events.
There were no headings
in the main text so there
is no table of contents.
Links on this page
|Site hosted by
- Maths, Design, Juggling, Computing,
- Embroidery, Proof-reading,
- and other clever stuff.
Suggest a change ( <--
What does this mean?) /
Send me email
Front Page /
All pages by date /
Site overview /
Top of page