Most recent change of Tartaglia
Edit made on November 17, 2008 by DerekCouzens at 19:46:10
Deleted text in red /
Inserted text in green
[[[> IMG:Tartaglia.jpeg ]]]
Niccolò Fontana Tartaglia:
* Came up with a general solution to the cubic equation
* Published many books,
** including the first Italian translations of Archimedes and Euclid
** and a compilation of mathematics.
* Tartaglia's formula for the volume of a tetrahedron in terms of the distance values measured pairwise between its four corners
** generalises Heron's formula for the area of a triangle.
* Tartaglia's Triangle is another name for Pascal's Triangle:
** ... having devised a method to obtain binomial coefficients.
* Applied mathematics to the investigation of the paths of cannonballs; his work was later validated by Galileo.
One of the Famous People on this site.
Taken from Wikipedia:
* Perhaps Tartaglia is best known today for his feud with Gerolamo Cardano. Cardano pestered Tartaglia to reveal his solution to the cubic equations, promising not to publish them. Some years later, Cardano happened to see unpublished work by Scipione del Ferro who independently came up with the same solution as Tartaglia. As the unpublished work was dated before Tartaglia's, Cardano decided his promise could be broken, and included Tartaglia's solution in his next publication. Since Cardano credited his discovery, Tartaglia was furious.